The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organisation of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999).
The main objectives of the OAU were to rid the continent of the remaining vestiges of colonisation and apartheid; to promote unity and solidarity amongst African States; to coordinate and intensify cooperation for development; to safeguard the sovereignty and territorial integrity of Member States and to promote international cooperation.
Interested and qualified candidate for the job opening at African Union (AU) should read the details below.
Legal Officer – International Mechanism (OLC)
- Full Time
- Required Qualifications: BA/BSC/HND – MBA/MSC/MA
- Location: Ethiopia | Africa.
- Join this Group to receive Job Alerts on WhatsApp, Click HERE
- To provide technical support for the Institutional and General Legal Affairs Division of the African Union Commission.
- Assists in the following up on the activities of the division, including monitoring and evaluating progress made in line with a predefined strategic plan.
- Suggests new and expand on existing policy areas for planned research.
- Contributes in conducting analysis and generate accurate reports in a timely manner for the respective Unit/Division and AU’s internal use.
- Assists in setting the overall research direction of a relevant policy area.
- Responsible for the delegation and execution of defined research areas.
- Participates in the organisation of relevant meetings, congresses and conferences with stakeholders.
- Engages with relevant mid-level stakeholders and develop working relationships. Support the promotion of the activities of the Division including preparing leaflets, guidelines and fact sheets.
- Assists in drafting reports and participate in the preparation of budget and work programmes related to the functioning of the Unit/Division
- Provides technical support to internal and external stakeholders.
- Provides legal advice to senior Officers, teams within OLC, the LC, and to stakeholders
- Contributes to legal or policy analyses and publications.
- Assists in developing and implementing capacity building and training programmes.
- Contributes to standard-setting, through participating in meetings, drafting work and promoting international standards.
- Participates in the organization of relevant meetings, congresses and conferences with stakeholders
- Engages with relevant mid-level stakeholders and develop relationships
- Contributes to the day-to-day administrative management of the Division
- Assists in following up on the activities of the Division, including monitoring and evaluating progress made in line with a predefined strategic plan.
- Assists senior colleagues in servicing Policy Organs.
- Assists with the preparation of seminars and symposia, and presentations on various legal issues at such events.
- Provides guidance to more junior staff.
- Performs other ad hoc duties as assigned.
Join any of these WhatsApp Groups to receive Prompt Job Alert on WhatsApp
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Law with a minimum of five (5) years postgraduate releavant work experience.
- Master’s Degree in Law with a minimum of two (2) years relevant work experience.
- Communication ability both orally and in writing.
- Analytical skills.
- Ability to work across business units / geographies; cultural sensitivity
- Proficiency in one of the AU official working languages (French, English, Portuguese, Spanish and Arabic); fluency in another AU language(s) is an added advantage.
- Change Management.
- Managing Risk.
- Teamwork and Collaboration..
- Accountability awareness and Compliance.
- Learning Orientation.
- Communicating with Influence.
- Analytical Thinking and Problem Solving
- Job Knowledge and information sharing
- Drive for result.
- Continuous Improvement Focus
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage
Tenure Of Appointment
- The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
- The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Indicative basic salary of US$ 31,073.00 (P2 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment (46% of basic salary), a Housing allowance of US$ 22,932.00 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
Method of Application
Qualified and interested candidate should Apply by Clicking the Button below.
Deadline: December 14, 2022
Note: Keep on visiting Basicupdate for more current update.
Please don’t forget to share this articles on all your social media handles for others to be aware.